The number one rule when travelling is to travel light.
When travelling on a long journey minimalism is key, you don’t need to carry much for possessions will not make you happy, but the thrill of travel will. Pack smart, quick dry clothes, quick dry towels, minimum shoes, small refillable bottles etc, below is a list of what goes with me on summer trips (hot locations).
- 35 litre backpack
- 2 pairs of quick wash underwear, this way I always have a cleaned pair
- 2 of ultra fast drying t-shirts
- 1 pair of running shoes, I like to run each day to keep fit, but it’s good to have some shoes for evenings to cover up from mosquitos
- flip flops (on my feet 90% of the time)
- 1 laptop, I often work while on the road, ensure your laptop has an SSD hard drive, for fast on/off.
- 2 Powergen batteries for charging all my USB devices, these are brilliant!
- 2 Retractable USB cables, one for charging the batteries and one for charging devices.
- 1 Amazon Kindle – I use the simple cheap lightweight, good battery life, WIFI only model.
- 2 pairs of socks – these are primarily used for running and mosquito defence.
- 1 pair of quick drying trouser shorts, on/off legs, in the evenings when the mosquitoes come out, I zip on my legs.
- 1 pair of running shorts, these are also good for swimming.
- 1 tooth brush.
- 1 cake of soap.
- 1 Phone with camera – Camera phones these days take good enough quality pictures.
That is everything.